Thursday, April 23, 2009

Nursery and L&D

Sorry I haven't been writing much guys. As the semester comes to a close, everyone is just going through the motions to get done. Not much smiling. Lots of bitchiness. Put a bunch of girls in one room together for 8 hours a day, and see what you get. Hell. However, today did make a few of us smile. We began Day 1 of a 2 day rotation through the OB floor. Now, you have to understand, I am not, and I emphasize NOT, a baby person. Yes, I am a woman, yes, I am of child-bearing age. NO I do not want children. I also do not coo, cry, or baby talk over the little buggers either. However, I did watch a live vaginal birth today, and it was amazing. I have never seen a vagina get that big before. I wasn't that thrilled after the kid came out, but the process was amazing.
On another note, while I was in the room, I had to bite my tongue. The doctor swooped in, went sterile, and looked at us three students. He noticed our "ADN" initials on our uniforms. Do you know what he said?

"What does that stand for? 'Another Dumb Nurse'?"

I didn't even know how to respond other than to glare at him. I know I should expect that out of doctors, but I have never experienced this first hand until now. Now, that said. If I had been a registered nurse in that moment, instead of a student nurse who can get in trouble, I would have said one of the numerous, scathing things that I had in mind after that. God gave me two things that I treasure dearly, intelligence and a sharp wit. The sharp wit only works when I get really pissed though. Common sense, on the other hand....I guess that's what nursing school is for....

No comments: